Saturday, May 28, 2011

June 2011 Baptist Light Newsletter

Dear Friends,

To say “good-bye” to you after nearly two decades of ministry at Whiting Community Baptist Church is very difficult for me to do. Yet it is time to do so. There are two aspects of saying good-bye that are important. One aspect is the “practical” aspect of the change that will take place in the nature of our relationship. This newsletter article will cover that aspect. The second aspect is the “personal” – these are the heartfelt thoughts I have as I leave WCBC. The July newsletter will cover those thoughts…

The American Baptist Churches Ministers Council Code of Ethics, affirmation 9 reads:
“I will, upon my resignation or retirement, sever my ministerial leadership relations with my former constituents, and will not make professional contacts in the field of another ministerial leader without his/her request and/or consent.”

This affirmation almost sounds like legal language, but its’ purpose is to underscore the importance of the retiring pastor to leave behind all his responsibilities and privileges. When a pastor resigns or retires from a church, that person is no longer the pastor. The normal ministry responsibilities and privileges such as hospital visitation, counseling, preaching, officiating at weddings and funerals are to cease. This is very difficult for both the pastor and the congregation. We have shared each other’s lives for a long time. Yet it is important for both you and me to do so. A pastor that hangs on more often than not hurts the church. A congregation can get confused as to whom to look towards for pastoral care and leadership – the retired pastor they have known for many years, or the new pastor who they have called to their church. It is tempting to go to those we know best, but in doing so a new pastor’s ministry can be jeopardized. To prevent this from happening it is best for the retired pastor to leave completely so that the church can move ahead into the new ministry the church will have with the new pastor.

When I first came to WCBC over 19 years ago, I was called to the hospital to meet with the family of a church member who was undergoing surgery. The chaplain at the time was a former pastor of Whiting, having served WCBC for over 13 years. The family respected and knew the former pastor, whereas I was new and unknown. The former pastor, who was now the hospital chaplain, could have stepped into my role, but he did not. He gently informed the family that I was now the pastor and they could receive pastoral support from me. I greatly appreciated him stepping aside so that I could fulfill the ministry for which the church had called me. I will step aside as well so that the pastor you call can fulfill the ministry for which he/she has been called.

One of the factors that make this transition a bit more difficult is that Denise and I will not be moving. However, we will be worshiping with a new congregation. Because we are still in the area, there may be the temptation of some to call us. Please know that I will not be able to respond to that call. My sense of what is appropriate behavior as a former pastor will prohibit me from any request for pastoral ministry, as is my adherence to the American Baptist Clergy Code of Ethics.

May God guide you and bless you with a loving and caring pastor. Pray for your new pastor. Encourage your new pastor. Welcome your new pastor. Bless your new pastor. And you will be blessed.

Sincerely,
Pastor Jim

No comments: